MannaPack Potato-D is the first and only food in the relief world developed specifically to help people recover from diarrhea, a leading killer.
Diarrhea is the number one cause of death of malnourished children. Diarrheal diseases accounted for 16% of deaths among children under the age of 5 worldwide in 2004.*
There are 12 half-cup servings per bag. The three ingredients include:
1. Potato granules - a source of resistant starches which assist in
rehabilitation from diarrhea
2. Soy flour- protein source
3. Sweet potato flavoring and vitamin/mineral/Gum Arabic blend – nutrition tailored to meet the needs of those affected by
To prepare, simply combine with a safe, potable liquid.
This product name was chosen to capture both the nourishing qualities of the supplement and FMSC’s spiritual mission by using the word manna, which the dictionary defines as:
1. In the Bible, the food miraculously provided for the Israelites in the wilderness during their flight from Egypt.
2. Spiritual nourishment of divine origin.
3. Something of value that a person receives unexpectedly.
Potato is in the name because the product is potato-based rather than rice-based. D is in the name to indicate that the formula assists in rehabilitation from diarrhea.
As with Feed My Starving Children’s (FMSC) original rice-based formula, MannaPack Potato-D is produced by volunteers. The food-packing process offers a tangible service opportunity for children and adults and adds a human touch to international food aid. Each serving costs only 22 cents to produce. 92 percent of all donations to FMSC go directly to the food program.
* WHO, The Global Burden of Disease, 2004 update.
If you are a volunteer seeking food allergy information, visit our Allergy Information page.